Organizational Development and Training Unit
The role of the Organizational Development and Training is to assist the University of Venda to achieve its strategic plans through skills development programmes that are designed to improve individual, departmental and institutional performance. The OD and Training Unit is located within the Human Resources Department and provides programmes and initiatives aimed at making the University of Venda an employer of choice.
We strive to ensure the provision of excellent service in all our programmes in order to achieve the People Management Strategy of the university. The OD and Training function also provides professional and advisory support to the University Management and Staff in relation to Organisational Development and Training matters.
The OD and Training Unit collaborates with the Centre Higher Education Teaching and Learning (CHETL); Research and Innovation; and the Department of Information Technology Services developing and implementing various programmes.
Main Areas of responsibility
- Plan and organize education, Training and development interventions for staff
- Conduct Training needs analysis for staff and the university
- Develop Policies on training through skills development fund and departmental budgets
- Consultation with supervisors and heads of Departments on employee development issues.
- Keep records of all skills development activities
- Coordinate and administer the new employee orientation
- Administer internships, bursaries as well as experiential learning for students
- Identify where training is needed by the organization as a whole or by employees
- Administer skills development fund and bursaries from SETAs
- Offer in-house training courses, including short courses and skills programmes
- Manage the ABET programme
- Offer development programmes like HERS-SA, HESA fellowship programmes
- Offer Ad hoc training (external job related training) for all staff members
- Conduct job evaluations and profiling,
- Manage Performance Management system.
- Compiling and submitting the workplace skills plan
- Compiling and submitting the annual training report
- Records keeping of all training done for mandatory grants claims
- Applying the discretionary grants through the various SETA’s
- Liaising with the SETAs with regards to application of funding for the discretionary grants
- Sourcing scarce and critical skills from the various SETA’s
- Compiling of relevant employee information and training requirements
- Co-ordinating relationship between employees and accredited training partners
Sector education and training authorities (SETAs) encourage skills development across South Africa’s economic sectors. There are 21 SETAs, each promoting skills development in its sector. SETAs focus on providing skills development and training to people employed or seeking employment in their sectors. They are tasked with developing skills development plans in response to the skills needs in their sectors. They then ensure that training is of appropriate quality and at the skills levels needed. If you know the sector housing the work that interests you, you could visit the website of the SETA or contact its office to find out more about training options in that sector.
The SETAs provide information on quality education and training offered by employers within their sectors. They can help you to find funding options and avenues to gain new skills while you are working. SETAS are tasked with developing a sector skills plan in line with the National Skills Development Strategy and then implementing it through Learnerships, internships, bursaries, approving workplace skills plans, allocating grants to employers, education and training providers and workers, and monitoring education and training in their sectors.
List of SETAs
Other than Fasset, the following SETAS operate across the economy:
- AGRISETA – Agriculture Sector Education and Training Authority
- BANKSETA – Banking Sector Education and Training Authority
- CATHSSETA – Culture, Arts, Tourism, Hospitality and Sports Sector Education and Training Authority
- CETA – Construction Education and Training Authority
- CHIETA – Chemical Industries Education and Training Authority
- ETDP SETA – Education, Training and Development Practices Sector Education and Training Authority
- EWSETA – Energy and Water Sector Education and Training Authority
- FOODBEV SETA – Food and Beverages Manufacturing Industry Sector Education and Training Authority
- FP&MSETA – Fibre Processing Manufacturing Sector Education and Training Authority
- HWSETA – Health and Welfare Sector Education and Training Authority
- INSETA – Insurance Sector Education and Training Authority
- LGSETA – Local Government Sector Education and Training Authority
- MERSETA – Manufacturing, Engineering and Related Services Sector Education and Training Authority
- MICTSETA – Media, Information and Communication Technologies Sector Education and Training Authority
- MQA – Mining Qualifications Authority
- PSETA – Public Service Sector Education and Training Authority
- SASSETA – Safety and Security Sector Education & Training Authority
- SERVICES SETA – Services Sector Education and Training Authority
- TETA – Transport Education and Training Authority
- W&RSETA – Wholesale and Retail Sector Education and Training Authority