Within the recent past, the University of Venda has received an increasing
number of requests from community leaders, NGO's and government departments
for advice on environmental issues.
The School of Environmental Sciences has pledged to provide a service to
address this need. This has led to the establishment of the Environmental
Advisory and Assessment Unit which provides advisory and consultancy services
for the entire community in Limpopo and adjacent provinces.
Structure and Objectives
Services of the Unit function through three sections i.e. Advisory Section,
Assessment Section and Capacity Enhancement Section.
The primary objectives of the Unit are to utilize the expertise in the
School of Environmental Sciences and, where necessary, expertise from other
- Provide advisory services on all matters relating to environmental quality
and safety, and strategies for natural resource management.
- Undertake research in order to provide information and create a knowledge
base for decision making on environmental issues at community level.
- Provide affordable consultancy services by undertaking environmental impact
assessments of development projects.
Environmental Advisory and Assessment Unit offers the following Diploma
and Certificate courses:
- Diploma in Natural Resource Management (DipNRM)
- Diploma in Mining Impact and Post-Mining Rehabilitation (DipMIPR)
- Certificate in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Certificate in Geographical Information System (GIS)
Matric exemption or senior certificate, technikon qualifications prior
learning, relevant experience.
- Mid level officers in the public and private sector
- University graduate
- Unemployed/ retrenched teachers and others who would like to further their
Duration: Minimum duration of two years, presented as
block or term release modules.
Course Presentation: Two modules presented per block and
two blocks per year. Each block or term involves 2 weeks of lectures and
New intake for first block: October 2010 until January
Learning objective and outcomes: To equip students with
the skills to assess and evaluate mining environmental impacts and the ability
to develop and execute sound post-mining rehabilitation programmes, particularly
for medium to small-scale mining operations