- To be the centre of integrated and sustainable third stream income generation for the University of Venda.
- To generate income through quality consultancy services, short courses
and commercial projects.
- Univen Income Generation Centre (Pty)Ltd has been established as a registered company owned fully by the University of Venda. This company was registered in December 2010, with the objective of generating third stream income for the University of Venda.
- UIGC has five operating units and the unit managers report to the UIGC coordinator with regards to their operations. The operating units are as follows:
- UCU – Univen Consultancy Unit which is in charge of all consultancy services including research consultancy and other types of consultancy activities. This unit is headed by Dr. M.J. Mudau (X8682).
- UCCE – Univen Centre for Continuing Education which is charge of all short courses offered to various learners in the University. This unit is headed by Dr. A.P. Kutame (8715).
- UCC – Univen Commercial Centre which handles all commercial projects including innovation and commercialization activities. This unit is headed by Dr John Mudau.
- SRDU – Statistics and research design unit which is in charge of providing statistical services and research design supports to staff and students; as well as other external agencies.
- EPRU - Editing and proofreading unit which provides editing, proofreading and translation services to staff and students as well as to other external agencies. This unit is headed by Dr. K.N. Phalanndwa (8299).
UIGC STRATEGIC PLAN FOR 2012-2016
Main strategic objective: To promote increases in third stream income at the
University of Venda
- An important strategic objective of the University of Venda under the
strategic plan for 2012-2016 is to promote Financial Sustainability of the University
- A Key Performance Area (KPA) of this objective is to promote increase
in Third Stream Income at the University through the activities of UIGC. These
activities are presented in details under the UIGC strategic plan for 2012-2016.
The specified activities include offering of short courses and learnerships;
development of policy for short courses; training of facilitators; offering
accredited SETA courses; development of consultancy policy; development of policy
for commercial projects; development of policy and editing; and development
of policy for statistical services.
Dr. JOHN MUDAU
Qualifications: BA (Social Work); MA (Supervision and Management) and PhD in Rural Development
Professional area of interest
Dr. John Mudau is a trained social worker and his work is mainly in the areas of Poverty; Unemployment and community/ rural development. As a professional person he has worked with several communities in poverty alleviation. This has positioned him to work with several entrepreneurs and enterprises. At this level his responsibilities were to assist in the drafting of business plans a skill he has mastered so well.
Before becoming the director of UIGC Dr. Mudau has worked in the following positions at the University of Venda. Deputy Director of the Institute for Rural Development; Senior Lecturer in the Centre for Rural Development; Lecturer in Social Work. To date Dr. Mudau has spent more than 15 years in the Higher Education and Training space. Among other universities he worked for include the university of Fort Hare in Alice, South Africa.
Dr. John Mudau has served in different boards and council such as the Vhembe FET Council; Board Member of the Black Management Forum; Council of Education and Training in Limpopo. Head of Strategy for the Thulamela Chamber of Business (TCBI) and being the Deputy Chairperson of the Black management Forum in Limpopo.