The Africa Association for the Study of Indigenous Knowledge Systems (AASIKS) in Collaboration with the Community Engagement Directorate of the University of Venda
Proudly present the
5th Annual International Conference of AASIKS
Wednesday 23rd – Friday 25th October, 2019
Conference Theme – IKS as an agent of decolonization and transformation for socio-economic development in Africa
The first call is now open for the submission of abstracts for papers (short, long, round table, symposium and poster) sessions on the following inter/multi/transdisciplinary conference subthemes:
One: Education and Decolonization
- Relevance of IKS in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Language and Art (STEMLA) education
- Challenges and prospects of implementing IKS policies in the education system
- STEMLA education a secret weapon of Western Imperialism?
Two: Implementation and Practice
- Exemplars of IKS integration practices in medical, agricultural and environmental sciences
- IKS and biodiversity in Africa
- Ubuntu and communalism in African society
Three: Philosophy and Sociology
- IKS and African identity
- IKS and African cultural survival
- Advancing the debate on IKS life-based programs: History, modelling and reflection
Four: IKS and Socio-Economic development
- IKS and social entrepreneurship development with inclusive innovation
- IKS and knowledge based economy
- IKS and sustainable development
Conference Aims and Objectives
- Promote IKS as an equality paradigm for social, cultural, educational and economic development and empowerment.
- Provide a platform for deliberations on strategies and policies in IKS research.
- Generate dialogues, argumentation and debate on inter/multi/transdisciplinary conventions of IKS.
Deadline for abstract/paper submission – Friday, March 15th, 2019
Submissions for presentation can be in the form of a short paper (3,000 words; maximum eight (8) pages including references); long paper (6,000 words; maximum fifteen (15) pages including references); poster session, roundtable, symposium (500 words; maximum (1 – 2 pages) including references.
Guidelines on submission
- Papers on any of the themes must conform strictly to APA format (6th edition), font size 12 and in Times New Roman font type (Please see APA Style guide attached). Single Spacing.
- Papers must be submitted as MS WORD documents (.doc or .docx) and labelled (absolutely no pdf) as follows:
- a) for Short paper AASIKS2019_SP_your surname initial;
- b) for Long paper AASIKS2019_LP_surname initial;
- c) for Poster session AASIKS2019_P_your surname initial;
- d) for Roundtable AASIKS2019_RT_surname initial; and
- e) for Symposium AASIKS2019_SYM_surname initial.
All abstracts and papers must be submitted electronically to the AASIKS Secretariat at the following email address: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or LOC Venda: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Conference Committee reserves the right to select papers for presentation.
- All abstracts and short papers received will be acknowledged and sent for review and acceptance by peer reviewers. A composite book of abstracts and short papers will be provided electronically.
- Author(s) will be notified of acceptance or rejection (with reason) by email after the peer review process on or before 30th July 2019. Author(s) whose paper is accepted based on certain conditions must correct the condition(s) and resubmit by Friday August 25th, 2019.
Accepted peer reviewed long papers will be published in a Book of Proceedings. A composite hard copy of the Book of Proceedings (R250) will be made available for purchase.
- Please read the submission requirements carefully. Accepted papers cannot be changed later.
Some Universities in South Africa and other countries DO NOT sponsor poster papers or short papers for the fact that they may not have undergone a rigorous review process. All papers will be reviewed by two qualified reviewers and comments will be sent electronically to author/s.
Registration for Conference
Authors presenting papers must have renewed their membership. Registration for the conference will open on-line on Friday, Sept 1st, 2019 and close on Monday, 16th October 2019. Thereafter Late Registration fees will apply. Conference Registration costs R1800.00 (Eighteen hundred rand) for everyone EXCEPT bona fide students with a current student ID. Registration for students pegged at R750.00 (seven hundred and fifty rand for students) or equivalent in US dollars and other currencies.
Membership: Individual (R300); Student (150): Other Options available (see form)
|Criteria for Conference Registration||Before 16 October 2019||After 16 October 2017 and|
- PS. Please note that, a bona fide academic staff member of an academic institution who is studying for a PhD does not qualify for the quoted student fee concession of R750 nor membership fee of R150. S/he shall pay the fee asked for an academic.
Also note that Invitation Letters will be sent on acceptance of presentation and on request.
All registrations and intention to attend the conference can be handled online. In cases where internet may be problematic, faxes can be sent. Please provide us with complete and proper up-to-date contact details.
Payments should be made to the following bank account
Bank Information: STANDARD BANK, TYGERMANOR
Branch Code: (050410) or Universal (051001)
Account Number: 270899960
Swift Code (International Banking): SBZAZAJJICM
Account Name: African Association for the Study of Indigenous Knowledge Systems (AASIKS)
Your Details: AASIKS2019_Surname Initials, Institution
Travel and Visa requirements
Most SADC residents do not require entry VISA. Others are expected to apply and obtain a visa to enter South Africa. Apply for your visa well ahead of your planned departure. Visit a South African Embassy or Consulate near you.
Participants are expected to make their own arrangements. A list of hotels, Bed & Breakfast nearer to the campus will be provided on our website www.theaasiks.org
For further information:
Please contact the LOC
Tel: + 015 -962 8802/7
Prof. Vhonani Netshandama (Chair); email: email@example.com
For further information on, paper submission and membership fees, please contact AASIKS Secretariat, School of Science and Mathematics Education (SSME), Faculty of Education, University of the Western Cape:
Dr. Keith Roy Langenhoven, AASIKS Secretariat Manager
Office: +27 21 959 2510