Applications are open for 2020-2021 academic year and close on April 19, 2019
Provides Grants for South African university graduates to pursue a Master’s or Doctoral degree at a United States university in any subject (excludes studies that require contact with patients). Grants are awarded for two years towards one degree – Master’s or Doctorate (renewable each year). Students are selected through a rigorous application and interview process and receive a high level of support ranging from visa processing and health insurance to a comprehensive pre-departure Orientation and re-entry session.
What do we look for in our applicants?
The Selection Committee and the Interview Panel will also be looking for clear reasons for selecting your US university preferences. The Fulbright Awards Program expects candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions which are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
More information on the Fulbright Program visit: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2020
Questions on the application process, please contact the Fulbright Office: Fulbright_Program_SAfrica@state.gov
Guidance for applications
- Specific Instructions for South African Applicants (PDF 180 KB)
- Tips for writing a letter of reference #1 (PDF 75 KB)
- Tips for writing a letter of reference #2 (PDF 138 KB)
- Writing a Personal Statement
- Writing a Research Proposal (PDF 95 KB)
- University Admission Exams
- Additional Frequently Asked Questions