DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR: RESEARCH AND POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
(Five-Year Fixed-Term Appointment)
This is a re-advertisement, candidates who applied previously for this position are encouraged to reapply.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Postgraduate Studies provides intellectual leadership and vision for the University in the area of research, knowledge exchange and postgraduate studies. S/he will be expected to oversee the building of a research culture that acknowledges the responsibility of academic staff to nurture its post-graduate students and to be a producer of new knowledge that is both local and global in context. Perform such other functions that may be delegated to him or her by the Vice-Chancellor or assigned by the University Council. This is a highly demanding position requiring considerable intellectual flexibility, leadership and managerial abilities as well as identification with the University’s value systems. In pursuit of the university’s transformation objectives, preference will be given to female candidates.
Monitor and update research and post graduate training policy; Oversee key administrative units that support the research and innovation function; Foster research development in niche areas. Lead the development of commercial knowledge exchange activities; Promote, maintain and monitor standards in research and post graduate supervision across the University; Spread best practice and celebrate achievements in research and knowledge exchange; and manage resources, budget and programmes of the research office.
Full Professor with years of experience in higher education and proven senior management experience in research, leadership and administration in a reputable institution.
- A relevant PhD/Doctoral degree;
- An established academic leader and scholar with an excellent publication and research record and proven excellence in teaching and learning to attract respect and credibility from within the University, international scholars and other relevant external bodies who should qualify for NRF rating;
- Five (5) years leadership/management experience in a large Faculty, Unit/Centre with a diverse staff complement;
- Experience in constructing research partnerships which span National research system: universities, science councils, private sector laboratories and Government research agencies as well as the ability to represent the University in National and Global forums about research and research development;
- A proven track record in designing capacity building programmes aimed specifically at producing a new generation of researchers and understanding the challenges related to the retention of young and established researchers within the University.
LEADERSHIP AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES FOR THE ABOVE POSITION.
The University of Venda is seeking an individual with strong interpersonal capabilities, who is an institutional leader, able to foster interpersonal relationships within the University involving staff and students and across the institution and with stakeholders.
- To provide strategic direction: Judgement; Analytical ability; Conceptual thinking
- To champion the delivery of greater results: Committing to action; Displaying resilience; Executing assignments
- To manage self and others: Self-awareness; Building talent; Managing teams
- To foster productive working relationships: Resourcing projects and assignments;
- Providing competent and respectful leadership.
An application should be accompanied by the following:
- A detailed curriculum vitae including full record of academic management and leadership in research, publications and teaching experience as well as names, telephone, e-mail address of three referees who can confirm experience listed on the motivation and curriculum vitae.
- A detailed motivation highlighting their experience in each of the requirements listed above and any additional aspect you would like to bring to the attention of the selection panel.
Interested candidates should apply on-line at www.univen.ac.za (click on vacancies)
Should you need assistance with the application process, please contact the HR team on 015 962 9293 / 9282.
The University of Venda is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of Employment Equity. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Candidates with foreign qualifications will be expected to have their qualifications evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) by the time they submit their application.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 22 January 2021. Communication will be limited to short-listed candidates only.