Kindly note the following regarding Research Ethical Clearance Applications.
Revised Process flow of the Research Ethics Clearance application is as follows:
- Submissions and Presentation of the project proposal at the Departmental and Faculty colloquium/meeting to include:
- Applicable Ethics checklist from Faculty
- All other applicable forms as required by F/SHDC
- Applications for ethical clearance:
- Forms (R1 and relevant application form) to be submitted immediately after approval from the Faculty Higher Degrees Committee
- Submission of proposal to UHDC to include:
- Ethical clearance certificate
- All other applicable forms as required by UHDC
Crucial documentation to be included in new ethics applications
- Completed relevant Research Ethics Protocol Application – Latest version, all signatures present – student, supervisor, and faculty/department.
- Registration of the Project (R1)
- Proof of Registration (Current year of application)
- Fourth Year/Honours Group Projects – Each student to submit proof of registration
- Masters and Doctoral – Proposal endorsed by Faculty Higher Degrees Committee (FHDC)
- Fourth Year/Honours Projects – Proposal endorsed by the department
- UNIVEN Participant information letter(s) and consent form(s) (Appendix B)
- Data collection tool e.g. questionnaire (if applicable)
- Conflict of interest form (Appendix C)
- Interview guide/schedule i.e. the list of questions to be asked (if applicable)
- Letters from researcher to respective gatekeepers asking permission to conduct research
- Copy of advertisements to be used (if applicable)
- Other information being supplied to participants
- Other documentation necessary for the UREC to make an informed decision regarding the research.
Please note that the following are required for Consideration of an application to conduct Research at the University of Venda.
- Application Letter signed by the applicant
- Ethical clearance approval from applicant’s institution
- Consent Forms
- Information sheet/letter
Also note it’s the responsibility of the applicant to organise meetings and distribution of the surveys/questionnaires for their research project after approval by the University.
Electronic Ethics Application Submissions
We request that all electronic applications follow this format. This will assist the office in attending to applications more efficiently.
Important: All documents should be correctly named. I.e. Ms. MV Khoza R7 Feb 2022
Submission of New Research Ethics Applications i.e.
- Subject: Faculty/School of Health Sciences Research Ethics Application
Submission of Research Ethics Corrections i.e.
- Subject: Research Ethics Corrections Ms MV Khoza
Submission of New Applications to Conduct Research @ UNIVEN i.e.
Subject: New Application to Conduct Research @ UNIVEN
Application Forms Guide
The AEBREC forms listed below:
- Form R7a New AEBREC Application: for animal, agricultural, environmental, natural and physical sciences, and biosafety protocols. This form must be completed by all students/staff conducting research in the above-mentioned fields. This form is not for ethics approval; however, it is form that will act as a notification to the AEBREC that a research/study is being done at UNIVEN, and a commitment by student/staff to act ethically to advance research integrity.
- Form R7b: Research ethics application for research or studies using animals.
- Form R7c Fieldwork: This form will be used as a notification to AEBREC that a study in the field is being done, such as monitoring or just observing, and it doesn’t involve capture, handling or invasive procedures on animals.
- Form R7d Bioinformatics: Bioinformatics ethics notification form: for projects using previously published data from online sources for research, not an ethical clearance form, this form will be submitted to notifyResearch Ethics Committee of such studies.
- Form R7e Microbiology & Biochemistry: Ethical clearance form will be used mostly for studies in the microbiology and biochemistry fields of study.
- Form R7f Lower Invertebrates: research ethics notification form for projects using lower invertebrates for research. This form to serve as a notification to the AEBREC that studiesinvolving lower invertebrates have gone through some sort of ethical check, but the form is not an actual application for ethics approval.
- Form R7g Crop production & Agricultural Biotechnology: Ethics in crop production and agricultural biotechnology
- Form R7h Ethnobotanical studies: Application for approval of field research projects including ethnobotanical studies. This form will be used for medicinal plants studies.
Documents for reference
- Research Ethics Policy
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Application Forms
- Conflict of Interest Form
- UNIVEN Standard Informed Consent Form
- 2022 REC Meeting Dates
- Guidelines for Classification Research Ethics and Review Process Feb 2021
For any enquiries regarding the above, please contact Ms Vanecia Khoza
Research Ethical Clearance Forms:
CONFLICT OF INTEREST FORM
Guidelines for Classification Research Ethics and Review Process Feb 2021
Final R7 Research Ethics Protocol Application Form Oct 2021
Final UNIVEN Standard Informed Consent Form
UNIVEN Research Ethics Committees (SOPs) August 2019
2022 REC Meeting Dates
AEBREC Forms April 2022
Policy on Research Ethics 2022