Dr Jakub Urbaniak is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Human Sciences. He has worked for over 12 years in the higher education sector in South Africa. He specialises in Constructive Theology (in particular Black Theology of Liberation, Eco-Feminist and Queer Theologies), Ethics, Philosophy of Religion, Interfaith Dialogue (especially Buddhist-Christian Dialogue), as well as spiritual and ethical dimensions of Environmental Migration.
He has published extensively in peer reviewed and accredited journals. His research over the years focused on the intersection of decolonisation, and Christianity, African spiritualities, and the role of religion in the public sphere, especially as it pertains to violence inherent in various forms of structural racism, sexism and ecocide. Recently, he started engaging with spiritual and ethical perspectives on the global crisis of Environmental Migration.
Among his recent publications are:
1) Urbaniak, J. & Khorommbi, T. 2020. “South Africa’s Jacob Zuma and the Deployment of Christianity in the Public Sphere.” The Review of Faith & International Affairs 18(2):61-75;
2) Urbaniak, J. 2019. “Decolonisation as unlearning Christianity: Fallism and African religiosity as case studies.” Black Theology: An International Journal 17(3):223-240;
3) Urbaniak, J. 2019. “James Cone vis-à-vis African religiosity: A decolonial perspective.” HTS Teologiese Studies/ Theological Studies 75(3):1-12, a5587;
4) Urbaniak, J. 2018. “Between the Christ of deep incarnation and the African Jesus of Tinyiko Maluleke: An improvised dialogue.” Modern Theology 34(2):177-205;
5) Urbaniak, J. 2017. “Faith of an angry people: Mapping a renewed prophetic theology in South Africa.”Journal of Theology for Southern Africa 157:7-43.
Dr Urbaniak has also published a number of book chapters and reviews, and serves as a peer reviewer for several journals, local and international alike. The full list of his publications can be accessed HERE. He has supervised a number of Masters students and has started supervising on a doctoral level.
Dr Urbaniak is a C2 NRF rated researcher.
He considers himself Polish by birth and African by heart.
Links to other profiles:
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=FJDfmS8AAAAJ&hl=en
Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jakub-Urbaniak
Full names: Dr Jakub Urbaniak
Designation: Senior Lecturer
Qualifications: PhD (UBO Brest), DTh/MTh (UAM Poznan)
Phone: +2715 962 89397
Office No: 12 (Block C-7)