Note that the following electronic Library Databases and Journals are now accessible.
Where applicable, each database or journal title now offers the ‘On-Campus / VPN Access’ and the ‘Off-campus / Remote Access’ access link. Click on the applicable link to access your preferred database or journal. Databases or journals without links can be accessed by clicking on their titles.
When utilising the ‘Off-campus / Remote Access’ access links the login page appears, requiring you to provide your student or employee number as well as your library PIN. Click here for instructions of how to create or reset your PIN.
- Please clear your browser cache, cookies, and history regularly as they often result in access errors.
- If you experience access problems after clearing your browser cache, please try accessing with a different Web Browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge).
If access problems persist, contact library ICT via these channels:
Tel: +27 15 962 8148 / 8832
- Library Databases
- Legal Databases
- Open Access eResources
- Open Access Content from Subscription Databases
- Covid-19 eResources
1. AACC Approved Methods – Internationally accepted tools for assessing quality and safety of grains and grain products. This collection of collaboratively evaluated methods enables food scientists in industry, academia, and government to ensure consumers have high quality and nutritious foods. Used to: maintain or test for quality of ingredients or products; to meet regulatory requirements; to ensure food safety of ingredients or products; to meet nutrition labelling requirements; to facilitate product development; to solve practical problems; to describe and document protocols used in innovative research; and to train laboratory staff & to teach analytical testing.
2. African Journals Online (AJOL) – Multidisciplinary. World’s largest and preeminent platform for hosting African-published scholarly journals. AJOL covers a variety of disciplines including Health; Education; Agriculture; Science and Technology; Environmental Sciences; and Arts and Culture.
3. Britannica IMAGE QUEST – Multidisciplinary. Provides access to nearly 3 million images from the world’s best image collection such Getty Images and Science Photo Library. Images are rights-cleared for educational use.
4. Cambridge Core – Multidisciplinary. Provides access to academic content from Cambridge University Press with over 1.6 million peer-reviewed journal articles and 36,000+ eBooks in the fields of Science, Technology and Medicine, Humanities, Law and Social Sciences.
5. Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) – Multidisciplinary. A comprehensive freely available directory of open access scientific and scholarly journals. Covers all areas of Science, Technology, Medicine, Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities.
6. EBSCOhost – Multidisciplinary. An online research platform offering a variety of popular proprietary research full text databases, eBooks and eJournals from leading information providers. Databases range from multi discipline subject-specific databases to general reference collections.
7. Emerald Insight – Multidisciplinary. Provides abstracts and full text articles from academic journals covering the subject areas of Marketing, Management, Human Resources, Quality, Economics, Information Management, Operations, Engineering, Production and Property, Education, Health and Social Care.
8. Jove – The Journal of Visualized Experiments is the world’s first peer-reviewed scientific video journal. It contains dynamic presentations of methods, data analyses, and results to teach new experimental techniques and improve reproducibility. Articles are published in the fields of biology, medicine, chemistry, and physical sciences.
9. JSTOR – Multidisciplinary. Full text content of leading academic journals in Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences.
10. National ETD Portal: South African theses and dissertations (NRF) – This portal provides access to the full-text of South African theses and dissertations.
11. The Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) – This platform enables searching through international electronic theses and dissertations archive.
12. Oxford Academic Journals – Multidisciplinary. A collection of Oxford University Press (OUPs) academic and research journals in the fields of Arts, Humanities, Law, Medicine, Health, Science, Mathematics and Social Sciences.
13. PressReader – Access to hundreds of South African, African and international daily newspapers and magazines online.
14. ProQuest – Multidisciplinary. Provides access to thousands of full text scholarly journals, books, trade publications, magazines, reports, dissertations, newspapers and videos in the fields of Health and Medicine, Language and literature, Sociology, History, Politics, Education, Religion and Theology, Humanities, Philosophy, Business studies and Entrepreneurship.
15. ProQuest eBook Central – Multidisciplinary. Provides authoritative, full-text e-books in a wide range of subject areas along with powerful tools to find, use, and manage the information. Subject coverage includes; Business & Economics, Computers & It, Education, Engineering & Technology, History & Political Science, Humanities, Interdisciplinary & Area Studies, Language, Literature & Linguistics, Law, International Relations & Public Policy, Life Sciences, Medical, Nursing & Allied Health, Physical Sciences, Psychology & Social Work, Religion, Philosophy & Classics, and Sociology & Anthropology.
16. Sabinet Discover – Multidisciplinary. The ultimate information services tool providing seamless access to comprehensive African Legal, News and Research Content. research content includes online African journals from various disciplines including Business, Finance, Education, Law, Medicine, Health, Religion and Social Sciences.
17. SAGE Journals – Multidisciplinary. Fulltext journals from a covering a wide range of disciplines such as Social Sciences, Humanities, and other diverse subject areas.
18. SAGE Research Methods – Multidisciplinary. The ultimate methods library with more than 1000 books, reference works, journal articles, and instructional videos by world-leading academics from across the Social Sciences, including the largest collection of qualitative methods books available online from any scholarly publisher.
19. SciFinder – A curated database of chemical and bibliographic information that covers several scientific and biomedical fields, with an emphasis on chemistry. SciFinder contains a wide variety of content from journal articles to information on chemical structures, properties, and reactions.
Note: when accessing for the first time you must register or create a personal SciFinder account. Click here to register or create an account on-campus. Click here to register or create an account off-campus. For better experience please access via the Microsoft Edge browser.
20. ScienceDirect – Multidisciplinary. Contains over 10 million full text articles and book chapters published by Elsevier Publishers. covered subjects includes Physical Sciences, Engineering, Life Sciences, Health Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities.
21. Springer Nature – Multidisciplinary. A range of high-quality journals, products, and services across Social, Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences. This includes online journals and databases.
22. Taylor & Francis Online – Multidisciplinary. One of the world’s leading publishers of scholarly journals and Books. Content encompasses all areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, Behavioural Sciences, Health Sciences, Science, Technology, History, Communication Science, Languages, Sociology and Medicine.
23. Web of Science – Multidisciplinary. A bibliographic citation database providing an index of current to current and retrospective international multidisciplinary information from high impact research journals across the world. Covers Social Sciences, Humanities and Sciences from 1972 to present.
24. Wiley Online Library – Multidisciplinary. Full-text journals covering: Agriculture; Finance & Accounting; Economics, Business and Management; Engineering; Chemistry; Physical Sciences; Environmental Sciences; Computing and Technology: Life and Health Sciences; Humanities; Social Sciences; Mathematics and Statistics; and Law & Criminology.
1. Heinonline – Multidisciplinary. Provides more than 198 million pages of periodicals, essential government documents, international resources, case law, and much more. This is a source for traditional legal materials including: reported cases; statutes; government regulations; academic law reviews; commercially produced law journals and magazines; classic treatises; historical, governmental, and political documents; legislative debates; legislative and executive branch reports; world constitutions; international treaties; and reports and other documents of international organizations.
2. Juta Law – South African legal journals, law reports, legislation, government gazettes, reference works, legal manuals, and commentaries. Includes case law and statutes from Zimbabwe,
Namibia, Tanzania, and Zambia. The different resources under this database are:
1. Commentary on the Companies Act of 2008
2. Commentary on the Criminal Procedure Act
3. Journals collection
4. Juta’s Labour Library
5. Review of South African Law
6. South African Appellate Division Reports (1910 to date)
7. South African Case Law (1838 to date)
3. Legal Info – A comprehensive legal library and research service that provides a comprehensive and searchable Case Law, Legislation, articles databases; supreme court and Constitutional Court, Labour Court, Industrial Court, and CCMA cases; Bargaining Council agreements; Wages and Sectoral Determinations; regular Case Summaries; as well as daily newspaper scans.
4. LexisNexis South Africa – Access to South African Legal and Regulatory content including Legislation, Gazettes, Law Reports, Statutes and other Legal material.
5. Sabinet Legal Products – Access to the latest South African legal collection including Bills and legislation, Gazettes, Judgments, Municipal By-Laws, as well as historical and archived information.
Mrs MT Mulaudzi
Director: Library Services
Tel: +27 15 962 8106
Ms M Majadibodu
Tel: +27 15 962 8314
Mr MM Raphasha
Library Assistant / Messenger / Administration
Tel: +27 15 962 8487